Saturday, January 08, 2005

Computer Virus and Spyware

A friend of mine asked me to have a look at her niece's computer because it crashes quite often. I suspected that it was infected by computer viruses and spywares.

When we went to her house to check on the computer, we brought a full arsenal of anti-virus and spyware removal software, as well as other utilities. We thought we'd find a couple of viruses and spywares. When I booted up the system and tried to install the antivirus software, it started scanning all drives for virus infection that might hinder the installation. When we saw the scan, we were shocked by the outcome. Personally I've never encountered more than 5 viruses in my own computer. This time it was different. The scan actually FOUND 1500 VIRUSES. After the virus scan, we installed the spyware detection and removal software. A full system scan found at least 225 SPYWARES! I just deleted them all.

This was a record breaking for me...more than 1500 viruses and 225 spywares. No wonder the computer crashes all the time.

After we clean all the infected files, we installed antivirus and spyware immunisation programs. We could only hope it would protect the computer adequately. I also told my friend's niece to be careful when downloading software from the internet because it could be infected with virus and spyware.

Lessons:
1. Always install antivirus and spyware removal programs to protect your computer.
2. Don't forget to update your virus or spyware definition files.
3. Be careful downloading anything from the web. Only install if you trust the source.
4. Learn to protect your children from negative or offensive websites by installing child control software.

Learn and Grow!

No comments: