Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What is the Meaning of Life?

In Viktor E. Frankl’s book “Man’s Search For Meaning”

…the meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour. What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general but rather the specific meaning of a person’s life at a given moment.

…Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked… each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible.

I often ask and ponder “What is the meaning of my life?” I often search for the magic formula that states “My life is ….”Until now, I still do not know the answer to that question and I haven’t found the magic formula either.

After reading Viktor E. Frankl’s book, I realize that the meaning of life changes from time to time. It is not just one thing, one meaning, nor a magic formula. It is how I respond to a specific situation that gives meaning to my life. I am the one and only who can give meaning to my life by answering life’s gifts and challenges.

Once again, being responsible for our lives gives it meaning!

Learn and Grow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello from California!

Since I believe in 'connecting the dots' of my life, I just had to take the time to drop a note of thanks for your wonderful post.

I've been so wrapped up with my own 'meaning of life' story that I have not made time to read Mr. Frankl's book. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

Your saying 'learn and grow' applies to me today...I'm going through some growing pains right now, but will keep close the thought that "it changes from time to time." This, too, shall pass.

As my simple way of saying thank you, and 'giving back', I'd like to offer you (and all who read this) a free gift copy (pdf) of my book. NO strings attached...really!
Just hit my web site for your copy.

Thanks again!
Louise Lewis, author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
www.NoExpertsNeeded.com