Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Language Confusion

Last Sunday was my brother-in-law's birthday. We celebrated his birthday by having lunch together. When we were going to order, there weren't enough menu, so my mother called the waitress to ask for a menu. She said,"Minta menu satu lagi.(We need one more menu book)" The waitress understood and gave us the menu.

After the waitress gave us the menu, I asked my mother,"Mum, which country are we in right now?"

She innocently said,"We are in Singapore. Why do you ask?"

I said,"Mum, what language do we usually speak when we are in Singapore?"

She said,"....English?"

I said,"What language did you use when you asked for the menu just now?"

I saw her face blushed and finally she realized that she has used Indonesian language to speak to the waitress just now. We had a really good laugh together. HAHAHA

Lesson:

1. Remember what country we are in and adjust to the language and customs

2. Singapore is a great multi-cultural country where most people speak more than two languages :)

Learn and Grow!

No comments: