Thursday, July 10, 2008

Motivation – Avoiding Pain

I have had some pain under my second toe since Monday. It was quite painful to walk. I had to wear loose footwear because there was swelling too. I was quite worried because I have never experienced such pain before.I had suspected high level uric acid because I have not eaten well, especially last week.

Yesterday, I decided to get a blood test because I wanted to make sure. I’ve been putting off getting a blood test because I was afraid to see the result. This time, the pain is greater than my fear, so I chose the alternative that give me less pain, getting a blood check. (The basic of human motivation to avoid pain is really a great motivational force)

I was feeling anxious the whole day because I was afraid to see the blood test result. Finally when I got home last night, I opened the test result. You know what…Everything was good! I felt so relieved and grateful!

What do I learn from this?

First, my health is extremely important!

I confessed that I have not taken care of my body. It is this pain that makes me realize how uncomfortable, painful, inconvenient, difficult, stressful, irritating, shameful and expensive for not having a healthy body. PAIN, PAIN, PAIN! Why do we often have to feel the pain before realizing how important and valuable something is?

Second, my motivation to avoid pain is stronger than my motivation to seek pleasure.

Until now, I have been trying to deceive myself by pretending to be a pleasure seeker because I thought it was better. Now I realize it is not about better or worse, but it is about what works for me. I am going to use both pain and pleasure, but I will make sure that there is enough painful reasons to propel me forward.

Learn and Grow!

No comments: