Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Coaching - Listening With Purpose & AHA

When I have a conversation with my friend, I usually just listen and talk. Today I tried to listen to what my friend was really saying. I tried to notice her choice of words and underlying values. It was really enlightening and interesting. It’s like having a new level of conversation.

During our conversation, I started to notice certain words that she used over and over again. I could see how these words affect her life until now. For example, she said she was afraid to speak in front of people since she was very young (kindergarten). She also told me some events in her life that support this belief. She could mention easily many instances when she had this fear.

I tried to put my coaching hat on and I asked her: ”Have you ever felt courageous? Have you ever done something that is really brave?” When I asked her these kind of questions, she really found it hard to remember any instances that support this notion. The fear clearly has more supporters than faith HAHAHA

light bulb

There was an AHA moment for her when I tried to help her to realize how courageous she was when she went to study overseas. I also told her that if she wants to be more courageous, she should ask herself those kind of questions and let her subconscious mind search for those supporting instances in her life.

I feel a very deep satisfaction when someone experiences an AHA moment. It is a very enlightening experience, especially for those who never experience it before. I consider myself very fortunate because during my 32-year life, I’ve had many AHA moments…lots of small AHAs and some big AHAs. I hope I can help many people to experience inspiring AHA moments in their lives.

Learn and Grow!

No comments: