Sunday, April 03, 2005

Pope John Paul II


Picture - courtesy of MSNBC

After a few days in critical condition, Pope John Paul II died last Saturday. I mourn for him.

I consider myself as one of the lucky ones who have seen him in person. I didn't just see him from the window of his apartment but I was standing within 2 meters from him, inside St. Peter Basilica on November 27, 2000 during the year of Jubilee.

I wouldn't forget the day I saw the Pope. My sister and I were visiting Vatican on holiday. After touring the St. Peter Basilica we went to the post office to get some postcards and stamps. When I saw a picture of the Pieta by Bernini on one of the postcards, I remembered that I hadn't taken a picture of it. Therefore again I went inside to find and take picture of it. Once I was inside, the main door was closed and nobody was allowed to go in or out. I wondered what happened. Then suddenly the whole place seemed to explode with excitement, people started clapping and finally I realised what was going on. The Pope was there and I finally saw him in person!

When I saw him, I was overwhelmed by the experience. Words couldn't describe my feelings. I felt excited, elated and touched by the experience. My knees also felt very weak. I thank God for this wonderful and grand experience.

I consider myself very fortunate. First, that day was not his scheduled appearance, but I was there. Second, My sister and I went together to St. Peter Basilica, yet only I had the chance to see the Pope. Third, I already went outside but because I hadn't taken a picture of the Pieta, I went back and was able to take picture of the Pope. You can call it a coincidence, but for me it was a special gift from God.

Lessons:
There is no coincidence. All of your experiences have meanings. You may not realise the meaning at the time, but it will be revealed to you at the appropriate time.

Learn and Grow!

No comments: