Wednesday, April 13, 2005

ATM Card and Honesty

On the way to work, my friend and I decided to withdraw some money through ATM. After queuing for a few minutes, I went to one of the ATM machines. When I was going to insert my card, I saw a message on the screen "Do you want to continue for another transaction?" I suddenly realised that the person before me has left her ATM card. I hurriedly pressed 'NO', took the card and ran outside shouting "Has anybody left his/her ATM card?". One person told me that the card owner just went inside her car and started to drive away. I ran chasing the car, waving the ATM card. I managed to return the ATM card to its owner who was definitely too glad and relieved to get her card back until she forgot to say anything and just drove away.

It was only after I walked back to ATM stations that I noticed how people were looking at me with puzzled look on their faces. I wonder what they were thinking at that time. Perhaps they were thinking about how stupid I was to pass such a good opportunity for an easy money. Perhaps they were thinking that there are still honest people around these days. Perhaps they were just stunned to see me chasing a car in the parking lot, waving a card.

After the whole episode, I started to think about what had just happened. I felt good about myself and was able to see myself in a better light. I supposed it was because the good inside me has prevailed! Although I did feel a tiny stint of regret for passing an opportunity during my reflection of the incident, indeed I was pleased with myself that I didn't even think of doing that when I realised someone has left his/her ATM card.

These kinds of incidents sometimes make me wonder whether I was tested for something. I wonder whether my choices and decisions under these circumstances would determine the course and direction of my life. I often ask myself, "Did I pass the test?" or "Have I made the right decision?" In this case, I believed that I have passed the test and made the right decision!

Lessons:
1. Life presents a lot of opportunity to do good or evil, you have the freedom to chose either good or evil. Let the good inside you prevails and build your character around it.
2. You will feel better about yourself when you do the right things. Although doing the right thing may not be easy, it will enable you to stand tall and proud in front of the mirror.
3. Honesty is a virtue.

Learn and Grow!

Inge Santoso

No comments: