Thursday, November 03, 2005

Warning: Disgusting Intestinal Worm

Warning: Please do not read this post any further if you can't stand disgusting things

Since I live in a country which is considered to be high population density with low sanitation, I am recommended to have a bi-annual treatment, so two days ago I took Combantrin. Combantrin is said to be effective against threadworm, roundworm and hookworm. It contains pyrantel embonate that works as a "neuro-muscular blocking agent" - effectively paralysing worms. When worms are unable to move, they are passed out in the faeces.

Yesterday morning, I saw one pink roundworm as thick as LAN cable, about 25cm long being passed out in a stool. Here is an illustration of a roundworm:
roundworm

It was a shockingly disgusting sight. I still haven't been able to get the picture out of my mind. The more I search about roundworm on the internet, the scarier it becomes. It's said that up to approximately one hundred roundworms can infect a single human host! One is scary enough, imagine 100. Eugh!

According to WHO, about 25% of the world's population are infected with roundworm...that's one in four people. The question is: have you taken steps to ensure that you are free of intestinal parasites?

Learn and Grow!

No comments: