Thursday, December 30, 2004

The culprit is....???

A week ago, we left a plate of corn fritters on the kitchen table at night. In the morning, two pieces of corn fritters were missing. My friend thought that I ate the fritters in the middle of the night so she didn't comment about the missing fritters. I didn't even realise that the fritters were missing.

On the following day, the maid asked whether I liked the corn fritters she fried for us. I said that I didn't like them that much. Then the maid asked, "If you don't like them, why did you eat all the corn fritters?"

"Hey...I did not! I ate only one! I don't know who ate the rest of them"

My friend said, "I thought you were hungry and ate them that night."

If I didn't eat them, then who or what did? We started guessing. Could it be a rat, a cat, a big gecko, or lizard? The question is how it get into the house since most of entry points like roof and draining system are sealed.

A few days later, the maid found one of the missing fritters under the oven. Hmmm down to two possibilities, either a rat or a big gecko because a cat definitely would not fit under the oven.
My friend bet that it had to be a big gecko while I bet that it was a rat.

Two days ago we bought a rat trap, the type with very strong glue. We used dried squid as a bait and we put the rat trap under the oven. About 10PM, we finally caught the culprit for the missing fritters! YIPPPEEEE! I WON THE BET! IT WAS A RAT!

We threw the rat trap outside and got rid of that naughty rat!

We suspected that there could be another rat running around the house. We would buy another rat trap today and see if we could catch another one tonight :)

With the rat caught, at least I am free from an accusation of eating corn fritters in the middle of the night.

Lessons:
  1. Don't be too quick in accusing someone of something. You might be wrong!
  2. It doesn't matter if you seal every point of entry into your house and yet open the door for pests to come in :)
  3. If you notice something unusual, talk to someone and don't just stay quiet because it may be something very important
Learn and Grow!

No comments: