Sunday, May 20, 2012

Small Practice of Letting Go

IMG_2654

Last Friday when I was de-cluttering and tidying up my house, I found that one of my vases was missing. The first thought that came into my mind was someone broke the vase but did not bother to tell me. I knew that it had to have happened when I was in Jakarta.

I posted a question in our family BB group asking who knew what happened to the vase. It was not answered straight away. My mother only answered the question a day later, explaining how Edward broke it.

When I found out that the vase was missing, I did not really feel angry or upset, I was merely curious about what happened to it. However, my family thought that I would be angry and disappointed, so they were afraid to tell me the truth about what happened. My mother was so afraid that I would get upset, so when she found out the vase was broken, she immediately asked her staff to go to Kasongan, Jogja to order exactly the same vase to replace it. She even ordered a pair of vases and had the broken vase repaired and made sure the vases would be delivered by Monday.

When my mother told me the whole story this evening, how even my dad was afraid to answer my question, I was smiling and laughing. I told her that she should have just told me the truth. If she told me what happened the day the vase broke, I would have told her not to bother to order a new vase. Since she ordered already, now I have to think where to put these three vases because I only have space for one vase HAHAHA

Out of this incident, I actually felt happy because my mother praised me for being not easily disappointed or upset. She admitted that she incorrectly assumed that I would react negatively to the news because I used to be like that. Well, I have changed.

I do not know how I will feel if Edward breaks more expensive stuff in the future, perhaps I will feel angry or upset, perhaps I will feel nothing, but I know that whatever feeling comes up, I will always have a choice. Out of all the choices, there is always a choice to let go and be happy.

Learn and Grow

Inge Santoso, B. Com

No comments: