Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day – Climate Change

 

This year Blog Action Day is about climate change.

I live in Solo, Indonesia. I definitely can feel the climate change. In the last few months, the weather was unusually hot. The sun is so bright so that whenever I am outside for too long, I get migraines. The heat of the sun stings my skin. The hot and humid air makes breathing uncomfortable. The effect of global warming can really be felt for real here.

In Indonesia, we used to have a saying that any months ending with “ber” such as September, October, November and December means wet weather with a lot of rain. This year, September has passed without even one drop of rain. This October, I only witnessed three or four days of light rain.  

I try to do my part to reduce my carbon emission and global warming by doing a few things such as:

  • Conserving water by taking quicker shower, turning off tap while brushing my teeth.
  • Becoming a vegetarian (today is my 18th day). I am not a pure vegetarian yet, but I am on my way there.
  • Raising awareness about global warming and climate change in classes that I teach
  • Reducing the usage of air-con. Instead of using air-con, I use a fan to improve air-circulation and cool the room
  • and other things

From the things that I try to do, the hardest thing is becoming a vegetarian. There are a lot of challenges such as overcoming temptations, adjusting social activities with my friends and getting used to other people’s reaction when I tell them that I don’t eat meat anymore. The last time I went vegan, it was in 2005. It lasted only for 54 days and it was really a struggle for me. This time around, I find it easier to overcome temptations because I’ve been practicing my mind through meditation.

I am only one person. I may not be able to do much, but I hope this Blog Action Day post may raise the awareness about climate change.

My dear readers, I hope not only you are aware of this climate change but you will take action – no matter how small, so that together we can make a difference and save our planet.

IMG_4577

Learn and Grow!

Inge Santoso

2 comments:

sHaa said...

Hehoo :)

wahh kita sehatii yiaa ,
HAPPY BLOG ACTION DAY 2009 ;)

mina said...

vegan :) a brave step, in a country who adores meat. keren!