Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day - Poverty

Today is Blog Action Day and the topic this year is about poverty. I am joining other bloggers around the world to write about poverty.

What can I do to help and make a difference?

As a teacher and coach, I usually seize the opportunity to talk about personal finance with my students whenever the opportunity arises. I see a need to teach them about personal finance because:

  • Almost all of my university students have no clue about managing their finances;
  • They may have heard about interest, yet they do not know the power of compound interest;
  • They do not know the danger of consumer debts;
  • Negative beliefs about money are prevalent. Scarcity mentality can be found everywhere.

I have a 3-hour seminar about personal finance for young executives, students and teenagers. It is called “The Secret to be A Billionaire” (Billionaire is the new standard for wealth here in Indonesia because almost everybody is a millionaire ha ha ha) I use some of the basic principles written in the book “The Automatic Millionaire” by David Bach and combine them with other financial tips from various sources. I talk about savings, basic investment strategies, reducing debts, giving and shifting beliefs about money.

I want to be given the opportunity by various universities and schools in Solo to give this seminar to their students, so I can help and make a difference by equipping the next generation with better financial knowledge and skills. I hope that by learning about personal finance, they can become catalysts for breaking the vicious circle of poverty.

Learn and Grow!

Inge Santoso, B. Com for Blog Action Day 2008

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very true indeed. The reality is, most high school and college students don’t get enough financial education to prepare them for the risks and responsibilities they face when they have to start dealing with things like student loans and credit card debt, purchasing a car, and aging out of their parents’ health insurance plan-in addition to their other financial needs. Therefore my suggestion is that we should encourage them to read a good Personal Finance Newsletter regularly in order to educate themselves.

prasanga said...

The student should be teach how to manage money