Friday, October 31, 2008

Back Up Your Data

Do you routinely back up your computer?

It is extremely important to have a routine back up of your computer. Losing important data such as your emails, contacts, photos, music, etc can be a very painful experience. I’ve had two hard disk failures in the past. I did not have a proper back up when the first failure happened, I felt so much despair losing those data. The second time it happened though, I was ready and restoring the files to a new hard disk was a breeze.

You can either back up to external hard disk, DVD or online back up services  such as free Mozy Online. It is also important to have an off-site back up, in case of natural disaster like floods in your area. Remember to encrypt your data when you back up to DVD or external hard disk so that it is safe.

I usually do a weekly back up to an external hard disk, then a monthly back up to DVD and Mozy. I am going to do my back up today because it is the end of the month :)

When you read this post and you have not done any back up, please do it now!

Learn and Grow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Inge, for sharing your backup strategy. Can I ask if there is a reason why you only backup to mozy on a monthly basis? I would have thought that it would be better to leave mozy running all the time so you always have an up-to-date, off-site backup.

Unknown said...

Hi James, thank you for the comment.

The reason that I only back up to Mozy once a month is because the internet in Indonesia is super slow and backing up to Mozy (less than 2GB) took me almost a whole day.