Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Candi Sukuh (Sukuh Temple), Central Java, Indonesia

Candi Sukuh 1

This is Candi Sukuh at dusk.

Candi Sukuh 2

The main temple area of Candi Sukuh

Punakawan

The relief at Candi Sukuh

I visited Candi Sukuh or Sukuh Temple with my cousins who came to visit Indonesia. Candi Sukuh is located near Tawangmangu, a mountain resort in Central Java, Indonesia.

The first time I visited Candi Sukuh was when I was in primary school. My parents took me there when they used to bike a lot. I didn’t remember much about the temple because I was more interested in the surrounding scenery that was so beautiful.

This time while visiting with my cousins, we had a guide to help us understand more about the temple. It is very interesting because this temple has lots of sexual references but they are disguised by symbols. There is another temple in the area called Candi Cetho where the sexual references are displayed in full.

If you want to know more about it, please come and visit these two temples. Please get a guide to learn more about the site.

Learn and Grow!

1 comment:

Chiranjit said...

do u know any near by place to stay there ???