Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My First Experience as Member of an Examination Panel

This morning I had a very interesting experience as a member of examination panel in Sebelas Maret University, Solo.

Frankly, this is my first time and I have no experience whatsoever in this matter. I have never written a thesis before because I did not need to write one to graduate. I only needed to get good examination marks to graduate and I could get my Bachelor of Commerce degree from University of Western Australia.  

I have never had the experience of having my thesis scrutinized and asked so many questions about what I had written, yet today I was on the other end of the table, scrutinizing and asking questions about what my student had written. I did not ask too many questions because I did not know what kind of questions are usually asked in this situation. I also do not have the heart to ask questions that are too hard or difficult because I personally know how hard he has worked on his thesis. The other member of the panel however, they really dug deep and asked hard and challenging questions. I learned a lot about what I need to do and I am sure that I will do better next time.

What have I learned from this experience?

  • Learn to ask better questions
  • Stretch my comfort zone doing something for the first time

Learn and Grow!

No comments: