Thursday, July 03, 2008

Learn to Laugh at Yourself

Have you ever had an experience when you did something very stupid and whenever you remember that experience you just cringe?

Let me share one story with you…

This morning I heard a story from my sister that someone actually washed a new electronic rice cooker under water. He forgot that it was not the old unit that he could just wash the whole thing.

Just thinking and imagining this already made me cringe. I really can empathize with him. If it was me, I’d heard myself saying ‘stupid’ over and over again. Sometimes even years after the incident, when I remember that particular incident, I still want to scream. I also tend to remember these things while taking shower. How about you?

Saying ‘stupid’ to yourself or screaming certainly does not help or serve us. It only makes us feel bad and embarrassed. What should we do then? One thing that I do is to learn to laugh at myself, to have a sense of humor when it comes to these kind of things. Honestly, it is not easy for me. I often take myself to seriously and feel that I must be perfect in whatever I do. Whew…What a great recipe for stress and unhappiness!

If you want to be happy, have a sense of humor and learn to laugh at yourself!

Sometimes these ‘stupid’ things that we do can be a wonderful source of joy and laughter when we share the story with other people. I often find when I share these stories, it makes other people feel at ease because they realize that they are not the only ones who have done stupid things in the past. I believe it is part of being human. We make mistakes and the most important thing is we always learn from our mistakes.

So what if it happens to you? Take it easy! Share the story and laugh together with your family and friends.

Learn and grow!

1 comment:

Venna Wongko said...

Benar tidak mudah untuk mentertawakan diri sendiri apabila melakukan kesalahan. Saya merasa juga akan menyesali kenapa kesalahan ini bisa terjadi.
Dengan sharing ini dan nasehat beberapa teman, saya harus belajar lebih santai dan humoris, tentunya perlu waktu untuk proses ini atau ada tips yang bagus untuk melakukannya supaya bisa lebih cepat berubah ???