Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Courage or foolishness?
In my seminar, I often ask the audience what the definition of courage is. The answer is usually COURAGE = NO FEAR, which means that you are courageous when you don't feel any fear whatsoever. I believe that this is a poor definition of courage because it makes you feel that you don't have the courage to face new challenges in life that often come with fear of the unknown.
I think Mark Twain's description of courage - Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear - is more empowering. It is about understanding and accepting that a fear exists, yet you are willing to take action despite it. Susan Jeffers said "Feel the fear and do it anyway."
1. It is natural to feel fear when you are about to do something new. The feeling of fear is not meant to paralyse you but it is to prepare you.
2. Courage is not the absence of fear, but feeling the fear and do it anyway
Learn and Grow!
Saturday, December 03, 2005
From left to right: Jakoeb Oetama, President Soesilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Dr. Stephen R. Covey
Last Wednesday I fulfilled one of my lifetime goals. It is to attend a seminar by Dr. Stephen R. Covey's seminar. The title of the seminar was "Achieving Greatness in a Turbulent World".
Not only I could listen to Dr. Stephen R Covey in person, I also listened to a speech by the President, Mr. Soesilo Bambang Yudhoyono himself. The President encouraged every one of us to cultivate a 'Culture of Excellence' in every fabric of our lives. He also said that although he preferred the world 'greatness' to 'turbulent', the two often went hand in hand. It is absolutely true in his case. Since he becomes a president, Indonesia has gone through turbulent times - tsunami, earthquake, rising oil prices, economic crisis, and many more. I hope the president can rise to the challenge of turbulent world and Indonesia can achieve greatness under his leadership.
Dr. Covey inspired us to develop the 8th Habit: "Find Your Voice; Inspire Others to Find Theirs". Voice has to do with:
- Talent (Mind) - What are you good at?
- Need (Body) - What need does it serve?
- Passion (Heart) - What do you love doing?
- Conscience (Spirit) - What is life asking of me? What should I contribute in this situation? (sense of calling)
1. Choose to be a trim tab
2. Find your voice and inspire others to find theirs
3. Develop a culture of excellence
Learn and Grow!