Saturday, February 12, 2005

Another Hard Disk Failure

On Monday, I noticed that my notebook computer displayed a message "Non system disk. Please replace disk". I thought it was because I had a floppy disk in my drive A:\ and my computer was booting up from the floppy disk. When I restarted the notebook, there seemed to be no problem. After a few minutes however, the screen went black and the message "Non system disk. Please replace disk" came up again. I started to panic because I haven't backed up my notebook for a week.

That night I stayed up until midnight doing whatever I could to repair the computer. First, I ran Norton Disk Doctor, it turned out fine. Second, I ran all virus and spyware scan, there was no problem there either.

Anyway, that night I was able to save and back up my recent files. That was good enough for me.

On Tuesday morning, I could start my notebook but it kept re-booting after a few minutes. I was quite upset because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get it repaired until next week due to holidays.

On Wednesday morning, I remembered that I haven't backed up my voice-date file. When I started my notebook, the first thing that came out on the screen was : "HARD DISK FAILURE."

"AAAAAARRRHHHHH. What am I going to do now??"

My good friend suggested that I booted up the computer using a floppy disk and bypassed the system. It worked! I was able to save my voice-data file as well as those I didn't get the first time. I was just so glad and happy. (Thank you mate!)

This morning, although my notebook still showed "HARD DISK FAILURE", I managed to read my e-mails, write this blog and print important documents. HAHAHA :)

First thing on Monday, I will take my notebook to HP Service Centre and have it repaired.

Lessons:
1. Once again, remember to back up your data!
2. Make a list of important folders and files so you won't forget to save them.
3. Organise your folders and files to make the back-up process easier and simpler. Don't let your important data scattered all over the place.
4. Get proper software to help you protect your computer such as Norton SystemWorks, Norton GoBack, etc. These software may be expensive, but it costs you less than losing all your work. (Symantec, do you give commission to people who recommend your software? HAHAHA)

Learn and Grow my friends!

No comments: