Saturday, November 27, 2004

Oh My Watch...Thank You!

A few days ago I went to buy a pack of chewing gum at Watson. While queuing to pay at the cashier, I saw a ladies watch lying on top of some chocolate display. At first I hesitated to ask the lady queuing in front of me whether it was her watch because I thought someone else could do it, it was not my concern, it was probably not hers anyway, etc.

Then I remembered a story about
about four people: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it but Nobody did it.

So finally I asked the lady in front whether it was her watch. When she saw it, "Oh my watch...Thank you! Thank you!" Her face changed and lit up...she looked surprised and glad. She was surprised how the watch could have fallen without her realising it. Then she was very thankful that she got her watch back because even though the watch was not so expensive, it had so much sentimental value for her. She was thanking me for finding her watch and asking her.

When I saw her face lit up, I was also very happy. I am happy because I made a decision to care and pulled my courage to ask her.

Lessons:
1. Take the opportunity to help other people
2. Make a decision to care for others
3. Start with yourself to do good
4. Do the right things in this kind of situation. It means not keeping the watch for yourself :)
5. You become happy when you make other people happy

Learn and Grow!

No comments: