Friday, November 19, 2004

My Document....Gone??!

This afternoon I tried my recently-installed Mozilla Firefox. I was prompted with user profile and I created a new profile called Renee. Then I found out that all my bookmarks were not imported to the new profile, so I decided to use the default profile and delete the Renee profile. When I was prompted to delete files, I just quickly clicked YES. Unfortunately, it also deleted files in My Document. When I realised what was happening, it was too late. I already lost most of my files.

I was shocked to see those files gone. I tried searching in my recycled bin...not there! Protected file...not there! Unerase, recover, restore...couldn't do it either! Finally I had to accept that those files are truly gone.

There is only one thing that I can do now...restoring my back-up files. Fortunately I recently back up my important files and documents. Last Monday I backed-up my Library, my Picture and Downloaded programs because I wanted to give those to my friend. My work file is mostly recoverable because it's holiday this week. My other files can also be restored from my monthly back-up files.

There is one thing that I must be really grateful. This morning I spent 4 hours writing an article. At first I didn't want to send it by email because today was holiday, but somehow something was nagging me inside so I decided to send that article to my collegue. I was so relieved that I sent it because otherwise my four-hour effort would be in vain.

I lost all my music files because I never back-up them because of the huge folder's size. I only organised those files yesterday...now it's all gone. I must rip them one-by-one again.

At least my situation is better than my friend's. One day she lost all of her files because her hard disk was corrupted due to hardware problem and must be formatted. I think what she regretted most is losing her photo collections. Anyway she learns her lesson and now backs up her files weekly :)

Lessons:
1. Always BACK-UP your important files and documents regularly. You will never regret spending time doing it.
2. Read carefully before you click anything.
3. Listen to your inner voice, it may save you later.
4. You never realise how important things can be until you lose them.

Learn and Grow!

No comments: